What's best way to get rare units? I've only gotten 2 Tesla and 1 lightbringer and have not gotten anything since after 50 or so runs on insane, all last 6 levels. I use 5 or so tech centers.
from what I’ve seen, difficulty has no bearing on drop rate. I have 2 Aries and Valerion after all. Just try Zone One on Normal while zooming out as far as normally possible and still being able to move the screen and spamming taunt.
Also can someone explain how walls work? Why do some units just shoot right past walls and snipe my towers. Do I need to use walls with shields? Double layer wall? Place towers father away from walls?
It’s all down to two factors. Targeting and Piercing. A standard enemy has close targeting and no piercing. Take the goliaths on Tesire for example. Just a basic unit that hits the closest part of your base. Some enemies are a lot harder to deal with, like the chaos guys from Tesire that can pierce all walls and your entire base, or Dragoons that have different targeting. They instead target your turrets through your walls, and nothing you do can change how they hit your base. You don’t necessarily need to use walls with a reflect barrier, but since the Korazon nerf, I heavily recommend it, at least in the front. You can double layer your walls but it’s extremely unnecessary and not that helpful. If you want to place your units and walls more spread out you can. Just keep in mind that Charger buffs and Sanctum Beacons can effect less. In general you want your base as compact as possible.
Version 1.0.7 thoughts: I'm going to make this short (it's 3am and I just got all my thoughts together). Let me just break this update into a few important parts that actually affect arena and gameplay in general. Part 1: Massive Korazon buff. Korazon's basically can't be reflected anymore, and instead just do the standard -40% dmg on shielded units. This effectively (in my opinion) puts Korazons back on top of the base structure list. You no longer have to overshield or take excessive healing to cover Korazon shots being reflected back into your base. Part 2: Tytan Barrier hp increase. Just overall good for arena. I would advise replacing all walls with Tytan Barriers (keep Arcane Wraths and Fortresses). Part 3: Is the core blaster lvl7 upgrade good? Basically, you pay a small sum of gold when a core blaster reaches lvl7 to upgrade it to a just-added unit called "Substance Blaster". From my testing so far, it's trash. Don't bother taking it or leveling up core blasters at all. It provides nothing new to the base core blaster and it's dps is like 40 times too small less than the cut-off for a competitive base. Part 4: Just every other thought... the new scores system is cool, shield disrupting units are still terrible despite targeting being better, I havent tested Elson Demi yet but I'm assuming it's still quite terrible. That's all for now, until next update!
Patch notes for upcoming iPhone version 1.0.11, Android 1.0.23:
- Increased maximum zoom out - Lowered cost for Darkness Barrier upgrades - Updated positioning for SW Battle Arena w/ ability to zoom - Made Valerion more "flashy" - Max negative effect resistance is now only 95% - Fixed and improved Zakana and Scorpion targetting in SW Battle Arena - Improved healers in SW Battle Arena - Minor balancing changes - Minor bug fixes
-The Zoom Out is much appreciated also in SWB, big thumbs up, makes the game more clear. -Don't have a Darkness Barrier but nice. The very costly units, Darkness Barrier, Thor and Vira Ultima are very, very costly! The sad thing is actually the 1 Million gold cap. If you can't fully upgrade one turret with maximum gold the balancing is off, but you said you'll work on it so nvm. -Arena Still got some bugs, Chunkies base still penetrates me and gamipad still has most of his base off limits. BUT with the new zoom you can actually see a lot of his base... only to see that all the bullets despawn before they even touch his base. Some other bases are placed more consistently now though. -95% makes the game a bit more fun I'd say. It doesn't cancel effects completely. Actually I'd suggest to lower it to 90% maybe, but we'll have to see how this affects the game for now. -Healers don't get any penalty now in Arena which is nice. We'll also have to see if they make it to the meta now. I like to use 3 sanctums behind my front line to heal my fortresses up if they survive anyways.
* Balancing changes seem fine, with fully-upgraded Korazon damage being reduced from 70.9 to 53.1 and Nyon Exist from 67.5 to 60.8; not sure if there are any other changes, although I can say that units like Nuclear Terra, Devas Nero, and Scorpion (all which haven't changed with the update) can better compete with them now.
* More zoom is always nice.
* Less gold cost for Darkness Barrier is also nice (Less cost for Darkness Alloy, so also affects Thors and Vira Ultimas!). That said, Thor Minions and especially Team Vehemence are still ridiculously expensive, so lowering their cost would be great.
* I like the change to max neg res.; it'll still encourages stacking neg res, but now you can't completely ignore status-inflicting enemies (Looking at you, Darkness Veras...).
* Haven't done too many SW battles for a while, so I can't say much about the Arena changes, though there is now a entry fee of 2,500 gold now; it'll likely encourage base designs that can win consistently instead of relying a lot on luck.
Overall, it's a great update (Bit disappointed that Substance Blaster didn't get buffed though).
Patch notes for upcoming version: 1.0.13 iPhone / 1.0.29 Android
- Added free trial of Bonus Content for defeating Villalobos - Added indicator around super rare unit drops - Increased Gold cap to 9.9 million - Increased Neg Voider fire delay - Will now post F.D.R.C. highscores once a month - Minor bug fixes
Let's talk 1.0.13. This update sees us getting some unit indicators, Infected Drone high scores, an entirely new game mode, and a nerf to Neg Voider.
1. Let's start with the new ZAC fighter challenge. You essentially pilot a single ZAC fighter around the levels, destroying enemies and collecting their gold and powerups. As of now, the game mode is pretty broken, and tends to freeze once the character dialogue finishes, but this can be fixed simply by opening up the menu and hitting continue. I would say the challenge gives moderate gold, so would be good for people not participating in arena (I got 23,400 on my first run, and didn't even collect most of the gold). It gets a bit annoying near level 6, as the player is unable to do sufficient damage and gets stuck on enemies. The controls are a bit wonky too; instead of normal Bullet Hell touch sensitive controls with the ship following the cursor, the ship moves in reverse to swipes, and when trapped on a bunch of enemies, goes off-screen. Enemies get more advanced as levels progress, pretty much mirroring actual campaign enemies. My personal high score is level 12, and kudos to anyone who beats it. Desstar (level 12) introduces Veras Nero, enemies who have insanely high damaging homing shots that also debuff the player.
2. Infected Drones (F.D.R.C) now have monthly leaderboards, like Arena. Get your Neg Voiders ready, and beat up some drones to hit that sweet #1 (Neg Voider has been nerfed, so it's a bit more difficult now).
3. I have yet to see a super rare unit drop since the update, and since I took all Neg Voiders out of my base, I can't really say much on these two topics. That's really it for this update, until the next one (and good luck on the ZAC challenge).
The 1.0.13 update patch notes seemed like a regular update at first, but it also introduced a new game mode, the ZAC Challenge (which is probably the best addition to the game yet, IMO).
*ZAC Challenge is likely the biggest thing in the update, since it's a new game mode, just like FDRC. Unlocked after Tesire (I think), the concept is very nice and is definitely worth expanding with further updates. Though issues like controls and collision could be improved, the biggest issues are the slow status effect and homing/beam shots. The slow effect right now is essentially a brief stun (practically zero movement speed and EMP) in-game. While this isn't much of an issue with bases (you have other units that shoot as well as Neg Voiders), in ZAC Challenge, it is very annoying, at least in the earlier levels with the Aion Wraths and RIS Battleships. However, in conjunction with the Veras Neros and Arias Devastators in level 12, they make finishing that level (or any further levels, really) practically impossible, as they fire homing shots and near-unavoidable beams, respectively, that consistently induce the effect. Electric Dragoons are also a rather big threat too, with beams and EMP, but not as much as the Veras Neros, which come in groups, fire quite rapidly, AND have fast, homing shots that slow (basically, you become a sitting duck that gets vaporized in seconds), or the Arias Devastators, which frequently come in large groups and fire beams that both rarely miss and cause slow (practically instant-death if you stay in their view for even a second). That said, I think the first step would be making slow an actual slow (maybe like 50% or 66% slowdown, but definitely not the 95% that it is right now). (Edit: yay for bullet speed and Veras Nero nerf!)
As for the other parts of the update...
*Gold cap increase is appreciated (might make it a goal to reach the cap!).
*Neg Voider fire rate decrease isn't noticable if you have 4-5 Neg Voiders and a lot of neg. res. The greatest impact is mostly on bases with one or two Neg Voiders, since neg. res. is likely not maxed, resulting in more units being affected by status and a lot more work to be done by the Neg Voiders.
*FDRC highscores being posted is exciting news. I already reached 10k with Nyons and beam rares, so it should be even better with the Korazons I have.
*Haven't had a super rare unit drop yet (never saw a single Valerion Orb in 150 Zone One runs, might want to check if it still drops!) (Edit: apparently already had the limit according to 1.0.15 patch notes, so thanks for clarifying!), so I can't say much about the indicator other than it's nice.
*Already have Bonus Content, so can't really say anything about the free trial either.
Overall, it's a great update (hopefully the new game mode becomes more polished as the regular content grows).
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018 4:16:24 GMT by Tranquility: Updated to reflect 1.0.15 patch notes (didn't feel like creating a new post for that since it was a while back)
Patch notes for upcoming version: 1.0.15 iPhone / 1.0.34 Android
- Balanced difficulty of early levels - Fixed error with ranking system for SW Battle Arena - Increased Speed Up for F.D.R.C. - ZAC Challenge now available for all users - Added button in Options for offical Discord server - Maximum Valerions is officially two - Added icons on map for Bonus Content levels - Interface updates - Minor bug fixes